Sunday, June 23, 2013

Into the Lion's Den

A common response to hearing that I am moving to Detroit to teach was "Wow, you're going into the Lion's Den."  I figure this response is usually provoked for a couple of reasons: one could be because it references the Bible parable from which I was named and another could be due to the fact that Detroit’s NFL team are the Lions.  However, I know that these two reasons aren't the only things that come to mind when thinking about my move to Detroit as entering the Lion's Den (mostly because my gay atheists friends don't often think in bible verses or know the mascot of any national sports team).  Most think of the harsh and gritty environment that teaching in the inner city will likely entail.  

With only a third of its students graduating high school, Detroit's education system can indeed be classified as bleak.  But its important to keep in mind that it isn't Detroit's only classfication.  Detroit is innovative and constantly looking for ways to bring itself out of its rough past.  Detroit is filled with hard-working individuals who have pride in their diverse community and rich history, and want to see their city shine as it once did.  Detroit truly is the city that hustles harder.

So while I recognize that these next two years in Detroit will be one of the most challenging times of life, I also know that it will be as equally rewarding.  Instead of the vicious and violent image a "Lion's Den" usually brings to mind, I aim to bring a new perspective to Detroit.  Lions are courageous in the face of fear and proud to be fierce animal the are.  In these respects, the people of Detroit are rightly associated with lions.  Never have I met so many individuals who are truly proud in their diverse community and work to do everything in their power to keep their den together.  It is for this reason, that I can't wait to be in the Lion's Den.

Thus, I’m writing this blog not only to keep family, friends, and loved ones up to date on my mission in Detroit, but also to spread my experience and new perspective of this incredible city. 

This past week has been one of the most life-changing experiences.  I have made so many great friends who are all just as excited as me to help end education inequity.  We've laughed, we've cried, and did enough "think, pair, share -ing" to choke a horse, but we've made strong bonds towards lasting friendships. Vandemonium4lyfe!


                                                                       Views from my room



Vandemonium!


Joe Lewis Monument



Tigers Game!


They won on a homer in the bottom of the  9th!


Spirit of Detroit


So now I'm in Chicago for the next 5 weeks at TFA Institute Boot Camp.  They work us hard so I likely won't be able to get another post up for awhile.  But wish me luck and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment